The Burnthouse Lane estate is nearly a century old (built between 1931-33) and the landscape beneath, of course, holds histories of Victorian farming, medieval Manor Houses and Chapels - even prehistoric remains.
Between the Wars, families were moved to the estate after the clearances of the West Quarter in Exeter and many Lane residents still can trace their lineage back to the Quarter.
The Lane has housed its fair share of heroes too. For instance, Albert Potter, an Exeter City player, was born on the 23rd September 1897. He served in the Devons in WWI and as an Air Raid Warden in WWII.
While on duty where he lived, in Shakespeare Road, he was killed in heroic circumstances. Despite the ongoing blitz Albert went to help at a neighbour’s house where a new born baby had arrived. He was hit and died the same day from his injuries in the RD&E Hospital in Southernhay. He was only 44. Source: http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/1177
SOME MORE HERITAGE TIDBITS
Wynstream School – Positioned at the top of a gentle rise, the site of Wynstream School is actually truly ancient - “In addition to the prehistoric pottery found in association with a Bronze Age ditch, a single worn gritty grey ware sherd of Roman pottery was also recovered. Two sherds of medieval ware were also found; a sherd of chert tempered coarseware and a sherd from a 14th/15th century green glazed jug. - https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/
Mile End House – On Topsham Road was the home of the Swale family who owned and farmed much of the land around the Burnthouse Lane area in the Victorian period. Later it was occupied by the Lyndon H Morris - Chief Constable of the Devon County Constabulary!
Wonford Street – At one end of Wonford Street, under a block of flats lies the lost remains of a medieval manor house – with its very own moat! The residents of Wonford created their own Information Board about it. You can find it next to Choys the chippy!
Milton Road - In 1945, 17 year old Derek Gordon Pearson of 15 Milton Road was presented by the Mayor of Exeter (Mr Vincent Thompson) at the Guildhall, with the Royal Humane Society’s testimonial on parchment – for rescuing a wheelchair user from the canal.
Briar Crescent - A bomb fell at 0200 on 4th May 1942. The report said:
'Burnthouse Lane. Fell 12ft. behind houses of Briar Crescent and Laburnam Rd. A6. B4. CO.D15. Water, Gas & Electric affected. Severe blast. Killed. 1 male.'
It went on to say that the bomb fell on clay ground and the crater measured 21 ft diameter by 3 ft deep. The bomb weighed 500 lb. http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_story/story_10.php
Why not check out the Burnthouse Lane Squilometre facebook group for more!